Yoga for Healthy Aging
with Kathy Knizner
6-week series: Wednesdays from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
March 1, March 8, March 15, March 22, March 29, and April 5
Yoga experience is not necessary.
One thing we know for sure is that change is constant – our bodies show us this overtime as we age and live. Healthy aging involves developing beneficial practices and friendly responses to changes in our bodies and lives as it unfolds.
Developed by Baxter Bell, MD and Nino Zolotov, Yoga for Healthy Aging (YFHA) is a guide on how to use yoga to cultivate physical, mental and emotional health for a lifetime of well-being. During this six-week workshop we’ll learn about and practice:
- The scientific research that explains how and why yoga supports healthy aging.
- Movement sequences for strength, flexibility, balance, and agility.
- Yoga is for managing stress, optimizing brain health, and cultivating equanimity.
Class 1: Introduction to Yoga for Healthy Aging. What is aging and what are the components to healthy aging? Explore how yoga influences your healthy lifespan through movement, stress management and yoga philosophy. We will try out some of the practices to illustrate the concepts. The class will close with questions and a short restorative practice.
Classes 2 – 6: Learn about the four essential physical skills and yoga poses/practices that support these abilities along with select yoga philosophy to help with equanimity:
- Class 2: Strength based practice with restorative pose and meditation.
- Class 3: Flexibility based practice with restorative pose and meditation.
- Class 4: Balance based practice with restorative pose and meditation
- Class 5: Agility based practice with restorative pose and meditation
- Class 6: Integrated practice with restorative pose and meditation.
$150 for the 6-week series; $120 for Uttara unlimited members